Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Canonical Interview

We intentionally set this requirement last on our schedule for several reasons. One, interviews give me and groom a lot of jitters since we've both been secretive about our relationship for the past 10 years. Two, prior to the interview, we're asked to answer the pre-nuptial questionnaire and we're given list of the doctrines of the church and prayers to review. And three, what's more to ask from us when we thought all this time we're emotionally prepared to tie the knot and commit ourselves to lasting and mutual togetherness?

Nevertheless, after prolonging the agony of speculating the hardest and toughest questions we're about to ask, here's what really happened during our interview session with Rev. Fr. Dan of the Parish of St. John the Evangelist, Naga Metropolitan Cathedral.

We came thirty minutes earlier our interview schedule (To make a good impression we suppose:-). We were asked to update the pre-nuptial questionnaire while the secretary checked the other documents we submitted the same day (Result of Marriage Banns from each of our parish of origin, Permit from our Parish Priest, and Marriage License).

Then the priest arrived and called us to his office holding all the documents handed down by the secretary. I was calm (I initially prayed so hard for the Holy Spirit to give me enlightenment) but groom was unfortunately nervous (maybe because he was so tired the day before because I let him do lots of errand;->).

Then the priest directly told us what is the essence of canonical interview and first required each of us to recite the Ten Commandments, the Apostles Creed, Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be.

Groom volunteered to start first, so I was a little confident that everything will turn out just fine. He started uttering the commandments (voice a little lower and husky though I can't remember he had a sore throat when we arrived). And come third commandment, he stopped and (Oh My He Got Nervous!) he forgot the third commandment! The priest was a little considerate, he let him skipped and recite the commandments in no particular order..and so he went on..then come eight commandment, he stopped again because he cannot remember again! I'm starting to get a little agitated. I don't wanna return again for another interview appointment. And the priest got to his patience and let me do my turn instead. And so I went on..I have to make up for my groom.

The Holy Spirit is with me..I went on and on til the Glory Be..in the thought that my groom heard my recitation, I thought he could make it already the second time around. But to no luck, he still can't remember the 3rd and 8th commandments. What the heck happened to him?? And so the priest asked us to go outside for a while and let my groom reviewed the commandments before we proceed with the actual interview (took us another 15 minutes..we have to finish this today or we will have to set for another interview schedule, which is a little humiliating). I know we have to do this together, I cannot leave him alone agitated by his temporary memory lapse.

After the chanced review, the priest called us back then groom went on (still obviously nervous) but he made it though hard and tough. Then the priest now asked me to go out for awhile leaving groom with him (what now??).

Then after about 5 minutes groom went out of the room and let me enter the office. And so this was the actual interview. The priest asked me several questions confirming the ones I answered in the prenuptial questionnaire ( I suppose groom was asked same questions too which later on, I confirmed right) to include the following:

 > where did groom and I met?
 > my present job, is ti permanent and how long have I been working?
 > is my salary combined with my groom's enough to raise a family
 > do I have children already? (of course none!)
 > did I submit myself willingly into marriage? (of course yes:-)
 > was I not forced to enter into marriage? (no)
 > did I not contract marriage before? (no)

And that was all..I was now asked to get my groom back to the room. He both asked us what is the day of the wedding, the time and the priest who will solemnize the wedding ceremony. Since we have a priest in the family who is not a resident of the parish where we'll marry, we were asked for his celebret and license to solemnize wedding.

Then he started his short words of advise for us, to my groom in particular, to memorize by heart the doctrines and prayers of the church because those are the basic religious doctrines we're going to impart to our children in the future. And he finally signed the approval in our prenuptial canonical forms. I took the opportunity to ask him the kind of missal we'll prepare since ours is a Sunday wedding (specifically the 2nd Sunday of Advent). And since it is a Sunday, we will have to use the missal in the ordinary Sunday mass that includes the Rite of Marriage ( which is actually just okay with us).

Maybe that is the essence of having this interview one of the most important requirements of the Catholic church. Because getting married nowadays doesn't only entails financial and emotional stability but more so with having a stable spiritual relationship with God and putting Him in the center of each of the couple's lives.

We ended the interview with a short inspirational prayer led by my groom and we part ways with Fr. Dan with light spirits:-) We're now ready to finalize everything and wait for our big day!

Next Post: The Pre-Nuptial Photo Shoot

1 comment:

Unknown said...

pdi b tagalog n lng memorize?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...